Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Up with mugwumps!

 Almost every time I read a book, I discover a new word. Most of the time I guess the meaning from the context and continue reading. But sometimes the new word is so intriguing I have to stop and look it up.

In the newest book by Louise Penny, A World of Curiosities, I found “mountweazel.” Who wouldn’t stop for that?! Webster’s Dictionary didn’t even list it, so Google to the rescue. The short definition is “fraud.” The more precise definition is “a bogus entry deliberately inserted in a reference work.” It comes from a fabricated entry in an encyclopedia about a person who didn’t exist, one Lillian Virginia Mountweazel. About this entry, one commentator noted that “Its inherent fakitude is fairly obvious.” And that gave me the word “fakitude” (also not found in Webster’s). Are you smiling?

But this blog is not about “mountweazels” or “fakitudes.”

It’s about mugwumps.

I don’t remember the book I found the word in, but it stopped me in my tracks and made me look it up. You US history buffs probably recognize the word, but it was new to me. And I found it in Webster’s: “a person who is independent (as in politics) or who remains undecided or neutral. Otherwise known as a noncommittal fencesitter or individualist, especially in politics.”

Some sources believe it originated with the Algonquian native tribe as the word mogkiomp, meaning “big chief” or “war leader.” It entered mainstream English in the US presidential election of 1864 when a group of Republicans refused for vote for their party’s candidate but instead supported the Democratic candidate, Grover Cleveland. Some switched parties and others became independents.

They were ridiculed in the media and called mugwumps in derision by Republicans. One sarcastic journalist described a mugwump as a strange bird who sat on the fence, his mug facing one direction and his wump the other.



The word is not used much anymore, except in US history books. That’s a shame. It’s a good word, and even though its original sense was derogatory, it has definite positive qualities. For one thing, it’s the opposite of partisan politics. We could use a few mugwumps in Congress today, from either party.

So, what is all this doing in a blog on “Life in an Old Growth Forest”? Let me tell you.

Our retirement community is growing with a new neighborhood of duplexes recently inhabited and a new apartment complex going up, soon to be occupied. We will change from roughly 400 residents to more than 600 in a short period of time. This community was founded by Quakers in the 1960s and still calls itself a “Christ-centered Community.” Our new residents represent the whole broad spectrum of Quakers and Christians, and some would probably not claim any relationship with Christianity. We welcome them all and celebrate our diversity. At least most of us do.

A concern has been expressed by many that we will lose our “family feeling.” Some fear we will gradually lose our Christian values and our focus on being Christ-centered. So the Residents Council, with the approval of the administration, is setting up a focus-group of residents to do some hard thinking and reflecting on how the community can keep its original focus and values. It’s a serious undertaking, and those participating are committing to twice-monthly meetings of two hours each. Participants have been chosen for their “supposed” ability to listen respectfully. I write “supposed” ability because I find myself a part of this group—and a little nervous about it.

One of our assignments is to consider how we can help all residents be able to talk about difficult issues in a respectful way, inviting anyone to enter the conversation, no matter their point of view.

A stereotype of older people is stubbornness, a refusal to change. That’s by and large not true. And this is where mugwumps enter the picture.

The positive side of mugwumpism (yes, that’s a real word) is being open to listen to other perspectives.  I don’t think sitting on the fence is what we’re after; in fact, I’d rather there were no fences. Being open and kind is the goal. We older folks can do that.

Up with mugwumps!

2 comments:

  1. Long live Mugwumps! Love the sound of that word. Sometimes I feel like a Mugwump. My definition is someone whose "wump" has been "mugged" out of them! Can you tell I recently was sick with a virus for 16 days!!??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad both your mug and your wump are back in function!

    ReplyDelete