Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Curiouser and Curiouser

 


One of the secrets of graceful aging, so we’re told, is being what is known as a Life-Long-Learner—maintaining a curious spirit and actively seeking to learn more about ourselves and our world. Curiosity may kill cats (a dubious proposition in itself) but it seems to add spice to the aging process. “Curiouser and curiouser” as Alice in Wonderland puts in, as she follows the White Rabbit, looking in amazement at the wonders around her.

Sometimes growing old feels like going down a rabbit hole, wondering where we’ll end up (or down). But paying attention to the experience helps keep us young in spirit for a longer time.

This retirement home offers many opportunities for learning experiences. A Community Life Director, plus a residents education committee make sure there’s always something going on. This last month we had weekly Bible studies, an ongoing (six weeks) college level class on the geology of the Northwest, art classes (card making and book binding), regular musical recitals, various book club meetings, a weekly movie, a lecture on hummingbirds, and an informational presentation by a member of the city council. The fact that a university is right across the street also helps; retirement community residents get special auditors rates. And, of course, we have a library full of copies of The Great Courses. Hal and I have taken the 24-lecture course on particle physics, and now I’m going through How To Play the Guitar.

In other words, there’s no excuse for mental stagnation. There’s no end of new stuff to learn.

Even so, I’m often brought short by my ignorance. There are things that I should know by this time in life but that I’ve never even wondered about. For example, what my name means. Oh, I know the meanings of my first and middle names; Nancy means grace and Jane also means grace. I’ve called myself God’s double-whammy grace child. Hal’s first name means warrior and his (our) last name, Thomas, means twin. Put that all together and it seems like we are alike, going into battle but depending on grace to sort it all out. OK—now I’m being silly.

But not too long ago he asked my what my maiden name, Forsythe, meant. And I didn’t know. In fact, I’d never even wondered about it or tried to investigate it. Of all things, that’s something I should have figured out long ago. So I wrote a poem, of course.

Thinking about My Name

This morning Hal asked the meaning
of my maiden-name, Forsythe,
and I realized that, not only did I not know,
but that I had never even thought about it.
Me, the lover of words and their meanings,
I had never wondered about my name,
a name that might have hinted of my destiny.
I guess there are many things
I’ve never thought about,
important things, things deep and surface,
thoughts that could impact my life
if only I would think them.
I’m tempted to shame at my thoughtlessness
but I choose excitement instead.
I anticipate all the many thoughts out there,
teasing me, inviting me, awaiting my curiosity.
I will think them all.
I will investigate and ponder.

In fact, this very day
I will google my name.

Find out who I am.

(Note: I found out that Forsythe comes from Gaelic roots and means “man of peace.” Being an equal opportunity believer, I can convert that to “person of peace” or even “woman of peace.” Great name.)

Here are some things I want to learn this year:
--the names of the trees on the Hess Creek trail and in Champoeg Park
--some new recipes
--more life stories of the people around me
--a new poet
--new (to me) hiking/walking trails in this county (experientially know)

I hope to be like Alice in Wonderland, growing curiouser and curiouser as I follow the White Rabbit of new knowledge and experiences. I will chase new thoughts. A world of wonders awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment