Monday, November 27, 2023

Old wisdom, young wisdom

 Our grandson is serving a two-year term in a North African country, learning how to set up small businesses. Through the wonders of modern technology, we get to be in regular communication.

On Saturday we had a long conversation via whatsapp. At what we thought was the end of our time together, he told us how much he appreciated our years of experience and wisdom. He then shared a concern and asked for our wise advice.

My brain immediately froze. Although he was not in any way demanding, I have problems with wisdom-on-demand. For one thing, I’m uncertain about the amount of wisdom I might have. It’s almost a stereotype—wise old people. We’re either serene and wise or grouchy and bitter. Both stereotypes. Take your pick. I know I’m somewhere in the middle, never reaching the total grouch stage, but also falling short of an endless reserve of heavenly wisdom.

So I did what seemed natural. I said, “Hal, you go first.”

He gave me an unhappy look but proceeded to share some experiences with our grandson, to give him perspective, I guess. It sounded good.


That gave me time to think. When my turn came, I realized that the best approach was first to ask questions and listen. So I asked him what he was hoping for, positive points, fears, what he could bring to the to the situation, and more such questions. He responded, Hal joined in, and the resulting back-and-forth conversation between the three of us actually led to some helpful insight. Not only did we share wisdom (I hope), we encouraged his wisdom to kick in.


Maybe wisdom is communal, at least in some situations. I think of the Quaker committees-for-clearness where a selected group of people centers their thoughts and prayers on one person and that person’s concern or decision. This involves times of silent waiting, questions, listening to the person, more silence and prayer. And then people share their sense of what the Spirit is saying. When it functions well, the person leaves with some clearer perspectives and a path to making his/her own decision. It’s all about wisdom and discernment. Communal wisdom.

I’m realizing that God invites us to ask for wisdom: “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given you.” There’s no age requirement. Any follower of Jesus can ask—old, middle aged, young. Even children. The Book of Proverbs time and again encourages young men (and women) to seek wisdom.

Still, it seems natural that some older people, through years of right living, should be known for their wisdom. As to whether or not I’m one of those people—well, it’s probably not for me to say. Or even to wonder about. But I can certainly ask for wisdom as a gift. As can my grandson. Wisdom that sometimes comes from consulting with other people. Even grandparents.

The next time I’m facing a conundrum, I may ask one of my grandchildren for insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment